Family Alert – Internet Marketing Dream May Kill It

by on September 21, 2011 · 110 comments

rsz dsc00224 e1316618004346 Family Alert   Internet Marketing Dream May Kill ItThank you for reading this post. What a year it has been thus far. I really do not know much about you at all, but I hope this helps you as I write from my heart.

Let me explain….

It was in the winter of 2008 when I turned to the power of the internet to make a living online. My back was up against the wall. It was either “make it happen,” or dooms day for me.

I worked very, very hard. In fact, starting out I worked more hours, and harder hours, than any other career I had previously been in…and I’ve been in some tough ones.

By the end 2009 I was starting to find my groove and making a solid full time income. The year 2010 and 2011 has been equally rewarding. In fact, September 2011 has been my best month in my career.

Today I enjoy a solid online business, a great product shelf that I have created and am proud of, and a customer and subscriber list that I value greatly.

But let me be real. The life of the internet marketer is not a fairy tale. The idea that you will make a million online while you are on the beach in Cancun with a laptop and internet connection is sheer rubbish.

Because I have small children at home I built my career working when they were in school or sleeping, but sometimes more.

I was always tired. My eyes were red and had dark circles all the time. I was too tired to exercise and I was out of shape. My body suffered. My eating habits were the pits. My butt was glued to the chair and my eyes glued to the monitor. I was in bad shape, and I knew it.

My kids no doubt viewed me always on the computer, and what is more, I rationalized it by convincing myself that I was doing it ‘for them.’

I know of real good marketers, people whom I have respected, and yet, they have lost their spouses, their kids, and others, all because of a internet marketing dream. Don’t let this be you.

I mean, the reality is, my daughter would be trying to get my attention, and a customer would phone looking for service. What do you do? If your dream has you picking up the phone, you are losing your daughter.

True Story – I had a customer call me at home last Easter Sunday, demanding immediate service and support. If you are not careful, some crazy customer will try and suck the life right out of you all because they gave you a $47 payment.

Yes indeed, there was a time when I was not balanced, and I tried to satisfy everyone at all times, but this all changed this past summer.

Now, when a customer is demanding service, it is when I am available. When a project is due, and it is late, I’m not going to lose my family over it. It can wait, and so can everyone else.

Let me be very very clear….

If you are a internet marketer, and you are wanting the fame and glory of online success, at what cost?

The people you love the most will suffer and one day you most likely wake up all alone and regret all of it. If you are a online marketer, and the only love you have around you is a picture of yourself and a dog, then you are in trouble.

If you find yourself chasing the internet marketing dream and you have loved one’s, then stop and examine. Most likely, your loved one’s will think you are crazy if you make little income. Do not lose the relationship because of a dream.

Instead….

• Take time to walk on the beach or along a wooded path
  • Go to the movies
  • Swimming is great
  • Time to get that gym pass out
  • Spend quality time with those you love
  • Go to all the parent-teacher meetings
  • Go paintballing with your kids
  • Go fishing
  • Play a board game

Do these, and you may find yourself enjoying life more, enjoying those you love, and at the end, you may even make more money online too. You see, when you are balanced in life, and good to those you love, the universe has a way of rewarding you beyond your wildest dreams.

Tell me what you think, and make a comment. I read them all.

{ 110 comments… read them below or add one }

Liat January 3, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I am not sure, Mark

I was (and still am) very loyal customer. I was recommending you and your products everywhere and to everybody without any affiliate commission. Just because I knew that you are the person I can trust.

But not anymore… I never called you or sent mail to your personal email, but what can I do if I have purchased a plugin that does not work and nobody gets back to me when I open a support ticket? (you can check – #510982 ticked, issued on 20 of Feb 2011 RSS Bomber)

When you set up your CRM, make sure distinguish between different customers type. You will find out that you want to talk to some of your loyal customers (20% as known) even at the middle of the night

Liat

Mark Dulisse January 3, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Dear Liat, thank you. Please use our support desk if you are having issues with any of your softwares. You are totally off topic for this blog post title and subject.

robert taylor January 8, 2012 at 9:36 am

Hi Mark,
I have been a buyer and a follower of yours from close to the time you started. I think I have just about all your products too. I just say that to say I have followed your progress as I have been progressing.

This is your best post to date, I have always admired your technical abilities now I admire your character. It also was a great reminder to me too. I am just now starting to get “somewhere” in my internet career and I see the time creep is taking a lot from my son. Like you I am a single father and it’s not easy at the best of times, and harder when you work full time at two jobs trying to “get ahead”.

Thanks for your honesty and if I have a plug in problem I can wait till Monday morning – the internet will still be there on Monday.

best regards,
Robert Taylor

Petra April 2, 2012 at 11:37 am

Hi Mark,
I just stumbled upon your post, and reading it made me very emotional. I have experienced exactly the same, just that I haven’t quite made it to a full time income yet ( ;-) ). The amount of hours sitting in front of the computer late at night, in every spare minute, have taken a toll. How many times did my 6 (now 8) year old daughter or my 8 (now 10) year old son come to me at night and wanted to have a cuddle, and I said “I will be down in a minute” but never made it because something on the computer seemed so much more important at the time. So when I came down (at 12am or later), all I found was my children asleep, of course.
I had to realize that because I have the children and consider myself a single mum, Internet Marketing has to take a back burner to all the other joys and commitments that are in my life. That means, I have to treat it as a hobby and that’s what the income will stay like.
I am having fun with the kids, get all my other stuff done, and still enjoy Internet Marketing immensely and do what I can, but can’t get too hung up about it any more.
I still have the dream, but have to be realistic about it.
Thanks for a great post!
Petra recently posted…WordPress Classroom – Get On Board Before The Price Rise!My Profile

David April 11, 2012 at 9:35 pm

All so true. And, amazingly enough, you get hammered for support in the midst of sharing your travails! I’m always reminded of a quote I read in a sales book many years ago. And I’m paraphrasing from memory so forgive me if you already know it. “People would love for you to give them something for free but that doesn’t mean they’ll respect you for it.”. The question you have to ask yourself is this: Do you respect someone else’s time as much as your own or are you a cheap selfish cad who doesn’t give a damn about anyone else but YOU. Set yourself reasonable “hours of operation” and make it a known fact. FAQ and user forums. Out of spec support requests? That’ll cost you and they have to check off the box ahead of time. Otherwise it’s death by a thousand tiny cuts.

Latha April 24, 2012 at 8:16 am

Mark,

Been there and done that.
This post is a wakeup call for me to take action and get my priorities right. Need to spend more time with my kids and husband… rather than romancing the computer :)

I love my work but it is taking a toll. I guess this was the jolt I needed to realize it.

Wishing you and your family lots of love and best wishes.
Latha recently posted…Google Places for Small BusinessMy Profile

Mark Bogdanovic October 3, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I would only want to say that everything Mark said is true I know coz I’ve been there. I also started my internet marketing career in 2008. At that time I left my crapy day job and started independed internet music label. I started with my friends credit card and when i earned first 20 USD I had relevation…I saw the light at the end of tunel. I also read one article at that time about one musican who was making 65.000 USD per year over internet. I said to my self that I want to be just like him. Today I am making double like him and business still growing…but I also was paing the price. My loved ones suffered coz of my days spended behind the screen. Every one who is starting please take Mark’s words and do what he said. It is so true…and I did urchase his product and I think his work is amazing!

Lorna August 24, 2013 at 12:09 am

Hi Mark, Brilliant post because it’s stating truths that go completely against all of the hype that is the IM norm. It’s important that aspiring internet marketers understand what they are in for and heed your advice about finding a healthy balance. I am only just starting out on my internet adventures but it has been a very slow start in part due to the fact that I work full time and I’m a single mum. Sometimes I berate myself for not working harder and faster and more but I also know that if I had, it would have taken precious time away from being with my daughter. Kids grow up very fast and before you know they are leading their own amazing lives. You only get one chance to have those moments with them when they are young and you are their whole world and so she has always been and always will be my priority and while I get frustrated that my IM business is not moving along faster, I know that in years to come I’ll be able to look back with no regrets and know that I got it right.