How To Be Number One On Google

by on April 19, 2012 · 104 comments

In this article you will learn how to be number one on Google moving forward.

First, a little bit of background…. In my last blog post I mentioned that Google is shifting towards Brand SEO, and I recommend that you do everything covered in that post.

In this posts I want to take it to the next level for Google Authority in Ranking.

In the early days of Google, co-founder Larry Page set up a link analysis algorithm to determine how a web page ranks in the search engine, from where we get the term “PageRank.” While the exact formula is Google’s closely guarded secret, SEOs estimate that the quality and quantity of backlinks make up about 70% of this ranking factor. Other metrics mainly focus on on-page seo factors.

Google is getting tough on SEOs who produce web content simply to spam the search engines with backlinks. Recently they announced on Twitter their recent Panda refresh. This was just the beginning.

Like a FBI raid, with one broad stroke, Google de-indexed millions of websites. Blog Networks such as Build My Rank and Brad Callen’s SEO Link Monster blog network got de-indexed. Many EMD’s (Exact Match Domains) with no content got de-indexed or penalized. Google Bombing (having all your links come from one domain) is history. Anything and everything un-natural has been targeted.

The Google FBI team has expanded its sweep as webmasters worldwide recently received warnings of ‘unnatural’ or ‘artificial’ inbound links, and there has been countless blog posts on how to deal with that.

The question moving forward is: “How will Google determine if a backlink coming to your webpage is trustworthy?” Even social signals (tweets, fb likes, G+, etc.) can be manipulated. While it is hard for Google to penalize a webmaster for bad links (otherwise you could destroy your enemies…LOL), what they have done in the last year is set up a new ranking system that filters link authority.

How to be Number One on Google:

1. Write powerfully unique content that readers will love (more on this with my next post. Stay tuned!).

You want to attract an active readership and be a person of web influence. You are heading in the right direction if your web content is being chatted about (Gchat), Tweeted, FB liked and shared, mentioned in Discussions and Forums, linked to in the Blogosphere, and written about in the News sites. Your website surely is getting Google’s attention as an authority in its niche if this is the case.

2. Follow the steps in my Brand SEO post and follow Google’s Search Engine Optimization Guidelines, including Google friendly sites.

3. Become a Author On Google Search using Google+ Authorship Markup

The question SEOs will need to be asking is not WHERE are my links coming from, but from WHOM are my links coming from?

Video powered by The Traffic Player

True Story – I saw a promotional email on a Author plugin a couple weeks ago on the Warrior Forum using Mike Lantz Warriorplus system selling for $10 or more. I posted on the thread saying, “What the heck, these are free on the wordpress.org plugin repository.” And I posted links giving the free sources. I was banned for 3 days for putting links on the wso thread of free links for the same thing. LOL

Simply install the plugin. Add your Google Profile URL. Add your website to your Google Profile to verify.

Authorship Markup is Google’s answer for determining what is a high trustworthy backlink. A Google Author is verified by Google+. The website they contribute to is verified by Google+. If a Google+ verified author links to your website using one of their Google+ verified websites, their backlink will flow a tremendous amount of link juice to your website because of their ‘trust factor’ as a Google+ verified author.

Additionally, the larger social connections an Author has,  the more link juice you will get. Hence, you will get a lot more link juice having Gary Kawasaki who has 1.7 million Google+ followers link to you website, than John Doe with no brand recognition and with only 3 followers.

As SEOs we are used to thinking that a good backlink comes from a webpage that has a high PageRank. This is no longer the case as Google rolls out its new criteria. Google is moving away from Pagerank (too easy to manipulate) as a key determining factor and moving towards AuthorRank using the Google+ Authorship Markup.

You want to be Number One on Google?

Increase your AuthorRank.

Here is an example of a search query where I have used the Google+ Authorship Markup on my blog below. Notice the additional markups highlighted in red:

author on google How To Be Number One On Google
Everything you need to know about Google Authorship Markup is here:

4. Approach Authors on Google who have a lot of social connections and ask them if you can be a guest Author on their blog or website.

Now that we know that Google is giving a lot of credibility to links given by verified Google authors on Google verified websites, the best approach is to approach these authors and ask if you can write a guest article on their blog or website. Show them your blog and the quality of your content. Show them that you are a verified Author on Google. Give them a sampling of an article topic you have in mind. Make it highly relevant to his/her readership.

If you do this correctly, you will have incredible AuthorRank juice flowing to your websites.

You can connect with them via Google+, or their contact page on their website, or if they have a support desk, etc..

5. Measure your success by the size of your readership, not by your Google ranking in the search engines.

[note]Two Quick Tips – Open up Google Free Keyword Tool and do a search on your brand name. If the results are zero monthly searches, you are in trouble. Seek to raise this number. Next, open up Twitter search and do a “@username” to find out if people are tweeting about you. If not, your brand needs some nurturing.[/note]

Your goal is to have an active readership who listen to your voice. Google proof your business by getting them on your list. I know many people who focus on rankings, as though it is an end to itself. Our goal as SEOs is to help people get free organic traffic for the purposes that people will take action, and come back again. If you have a website that is ‘one product’ shop, I encourage you redo your online business planning.

Be a Author on Google mover and shaker, a powerful force to be reakoned with. icon smile How To Be Number One On Google

In doing so, you will Be Number One On Google.

Please, share your comments, I read them all.

{ 104 comments… read them below or add one }

Good Books To Read April 23, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Thanks for all the great tips you have provided Mark.
Good Books To Read recently posted…Annie HawesMy Profile

Michael April 23, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the tips.

My main goal for online activity is to get people to buy my products on my affiliate/money sites – so is this article directed to those individuals who are looking to build their brand/name up – like my portfolio site is mikejohnsondesign.com – should I be building that site up and then linking to my other money sites from there?

OR

Would this article apply to those people who are looking to drive more traffic to their affiliate/money sites? If so, do we use our actual name when signing up for various sites? Or use a pen name/address/phone number/etc?

Thanks again!
Michael recently posted…ArticleRanks ReviewMy Profile

Mark Dulisse April 23, 2012 at 5:18 pm

@ Michael – I suppose you can do both. It depends on your business model. If you are in the local seo or web design niche, as it looks like you are, there is no conflict of interest between having it all under your own name, from different sites. Just put the sites on your G+ profile that you contribute to these sites.

Michael April 23, 2012 at 5:29 pm

@Mark

Thanks for the quick reply. I’ll try adding those other sites to my Google+ profile and try building them up that way. Oh, and I own WP Optin Pro :)

Dan April 24, 2012 at 1:17 am

Mark,
Stellar content and thanks for taking a stand in the forum.
My question is this. For clients, or for people who are running a pure e-commerce site where there’s little in the way of author notoriety what’s the secret? I mean if I’m selling Rolex replicas for example, and I have a product catalog which is an array of different styles, where’s the motivation for anyone to recognize me as an author worthy of any rank of authorship? Curious as to your take on such use cases.

Mark Dulisse April 24, 2012 at 1:20 am

@ Dan Great question. I would still be an Author on Google. Create a Google plus business page. Put link of ecommerce on Googleplus profile page. I certainly would have a pinterest business profile with images of rolex, and have it on my googleplus profile.

Good Books to Read April 24, 2012 at 2:02 am

Mark I read your reply to Dan. If one were to use a pseudonym with the Google + account will that foul things up with regard to Adsense on the website. Obviously Google has my name for adsense, will a pseudonym alert them to the fact that the two names don’t match? Thanks.
Good Books to Read recently posted…Annie HawesMy Profile

Mark Dulisse April 24, 2012 at 2:08 am

@ Good Books to Read – You have a good question, but really…your comment name is Good Books to Read with your link to goodbooks-toread. I realize you are trying to get some link juice from my blog, but if you are going to start asking questions, I suggest you start using your name. Otherwise, I will see your comment as spam, and just delete it.

As for your question, Dan did not speak about pseudo name.

how to build a website April 24, 2012 at 2:59 am

I just came back by reading and studying from your great content and postings in your Google plus account which I really benefited for my SEO and other how to increase traffic by using the SEO strategies and techniques you teach to the public. Particularly, I liked the two top articles “Learn How To Be Number One On Google and SEO Best Practices: Google’s New Traffic Paradigm”. Thanks Mark for help and you ‘re Author On Google!

Elizabeth April 24, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Thanks a lot for this post Mark! Although I am somewhat of a newbie, I’ve had a travel site for about a year, and have chased my tail at attempting to figure out SEO and monetize my site. I have a decent google rank ( I believe 3) and try and produce regular content for my niche, and yet I get about 100 visitors a day, where I have friends producing similar ( not identical) content and have about 2000 visits per day. This is despite my having a social network of about 8000 on various social media platforms. I feel confused as to where my focus should be.
Elizabeth recently posted…Yet ANOTHER reminder of why my kids won’t go to school…everMy Profile

Mark Dulisse April 24, 2012 at 5:29 pm

@ Elizabeth – I would not focus on social media (FB, Twitter) for targeted traffic for a travel site, unless it is some highly targeted group in FB. Twitter would be a waste of time for this. Pinterest has some hope. But the again, I would focus on organic or paid traffic that is targeted based on keywords. Your friends 2000 visitors a day really does not say much. You’d have to be specific, and what webstats. It could be just spiders visiting their website, for all we know.

Elizabeth April 25, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Thanks for the reply Mark! :) By paid traffic do you mean PPC ads or sponsored posts, or both? You are completely right about getting targeted traffic, and pinterest as well as stumbled upon have helped in those categories, and so did taking a facebook ppc ad. I had someone write to me after seeing the comment I left and said I should work more on onsite SEO.

steve April 24, 2012 at 5:12 pm

hi mark

good article

although it does not make sense as 99% of normal people will have no idea how to do do anything related to authorship so that 1% will be using this strategy

is this NOT a form of manipulation??

Mark Dulisse April 24, 2012 at 6:28 pm

@ steve – I consider myself normal. Look at my blog here. Pretty normal. Nothing fancy. And yet a good readership. It is not manipulation. It is SEO.

Jamie Haslett April 25, 2012 at 1:29 am

Hi Mark,

I wanted to say thanks for all your awesome recomendations and tips to get us set on the right track with our SEO. I have only been following you for a little bit after i purchased your WP Optin Pro, which is awesome bro, thanks for that.

I had a few questions, i installed your plugin on this page and filled it out as you said in the video including the coding in the bio field under users – your profile. I am having some problems with getting that to show up. Am I doing something wrong because I notice i do not have an about me section below my posts and that is where it shows up for you.

Please let me know if there is something else i need to do.

Thanks Jamie
Jamie Haslett recently posted…XoVita Life’s Perfect BlendMy Profile

Mark Dulisse April 25, 2012 at 1:58 am

@ Jamie Haslett – I suggest you use our support desk for product related questions. I can’t possibly manage a software business from my personal blog commenting. :)

Jamie Haslett April 25, 2012 at 4:19 am

Hi Mark, sorry I think I wasnt very clear. I was not talking about WP Optin Pro, I was refering to the google author plugin you posted in this article. Can I still use your support desk even for a free plugin.
Jamie Haslett recently posted…XoVita Life’s Perfect BlendMy Profile

Barry April 25, 2012 at 10:37 am

Mark, Thanks for this very interesting post. So many people listen to what seems to become the wrong advice all the time, whilst you make it seem so simple.

What you say makes a lot of sense and I learned something today. Thank you.

Now I am off to make some changes to my sites :-)

Seb April 26, 2012 at 12:43 am

Hi Mark, Can I ask the question again about using a pseudonym for Google+ about 8 comments up under Good books. Thanks
Seb recently posted…Annie HawesMy Profile

Les Foster April 26, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Google seems to me to be anti-affiliate.

Seb April 26, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Has there been another Google change? Several of my websites seem to be suffering.
Seb recently posted…Alexander McCall SmithMy Profile

Lisa April 29, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Great information and thank you for the plugin! It was very simple to install and sort out and your video is great.
I was just about to buy a Google+ plugin that does exactly the same thing, so again thank you.

I have gotten everything installed correctly I believe (anyone know how to get the link when clicking on my author name to open in a new window/tab?)

I also would be very keen to understand more about using pseudonyms and Adsense, if anyone has any knowledge on this.
Lisa recently posted…Healthy Grocery Shopping On A BudgetMy Profile

Charles Daniels April 29, 2012 at 6:18 pm

What a crazy SEO world we live in, huh? A decade of PR, and now we are off to chase AR. I’m off to install the plugin. Many thanks Mark.
Charles Daniels recently posted…QR codes for your Michigan business. Part 2: Putting QR Codes to use.My Profile

Craig Connelly Touch Marketing Auckland May 1, 2012 at 3:11 am

Mark I have a question. If I am working with a client that wants to rank in Australia and New Zealand in a training and education niche should we focus on building content, and all that is required to overcome the Penguin update on just one site i.e a dot com or should we have two authority sites i.e one for each country with different content and a local domain name. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Carl Bradbrook May 1, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Hi Mark,

Quick request :-) Please :-)

Could you send me a pinterest invite to abunsystm8 (AT) gmail.com . I’d very much appreciate it.

Eagerly awaiting your new pinterest software! Will you have a how to manual with it in terms of how to get the best out of pinterest. I noticed Ryan Deiss is running a pinterest webinar and saying that it is a MUST HAVE…

By the way I just noticed your very generous back link “keyword luv ” for comments

AND thanks for that super fast customer service on the opt in plug in after i mentioned it to you. Appreciated!

happy day!

Carl :-)

Ashley May 6, 2012 at 5:18 am

Hi, I have installed your great little Google plus author plugin (thanks heaps!).
You had mentioned that you would tell us how to get our websites Google+ verified – but I have not been able to see that info anywhere.
Is just using the plugin and adding our website link to our Google plus account enough? Or do we need to do something else to get a website Google+ verified?
You have some really fantastic and up to date information here and I am learning a lot, thank you.
Ashley recently posted…Cat Litter Concealment CabinetsMy Profile

Sean May 8, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Getting on top of Google? Sure, who wouldn’t love that?

But sometimes the algorithm changes really wreak havoc for millions of business owners. Pandas and penguins? Not cute anymore …

Still, I like point 4 … getting in touch with Google approved authors. That will give a boost to credibility.

Great stuff. Thanks!
Sean recently posted…Copywriting Training – SEO Skills and TipsMy Profile

Shelley May 8, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I like the plugin thanks.
Google search has gone really weird with this latest change. Nothing comes up for what you search on. I have not even been able to get relevant information on what I am searching for by using quotes. Good golly gosh, I wonder what is going to happen next.
Shelley recently posted…Is Juicing Good For You?My Profile

Koundeenya May 15, 2012 at 9:30 am

Thanks Mark! Thats been a useful article. Google+ really helps a lot in customizing search. Google Plus World

SAJID July 25, 2012 at 6:54 am

Mark i have had never thought that google authorship for blogs can increase search ranks that much. Its really great to have lots of connections and then integrating authorship with the blog.
Wonderful article and nice help.
Regards.
TOpTEnPLus

Corporate Retirement Gifts July 26, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Mark,

I have applied some of the techinques you discussed. I find that your get results from your work. Reading your post tells me that I need to work smarter and harder. I should have been reading your posts before now. You answered some of the questions that I have been trying to figure out myeslf. I will have a learning curve with some of the plugins and other techinques. But, I am better off for reading your post.
Thanks

mike August 5, 2012 at 5:48 pm

great tips Mark thanks for the share
mike recently posted…BlogMy Profile

Sharj October 19, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Good seo tips + video,
I’ll be your fixed visitor :)

Sue McDonald October 24, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Hi Mark

Thank you for the plugin. I am glad the Google is taking a stand and cleaning up the internet.

Regards

Sue

David Deschaine October 24, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Hello Mark,
Great products and i love the new Sales Press Pro and I’m like all of your stuff Great price on how to be first on Google program.

Thanks,
David Deschaine
P.S. My website got whacked when the panda and penguin updates went through – That Hurt Bad!

Mel October 29, 2012 at 7:00 am

Thank you for sharing this information. I have recently just started a website and I think I am learning more about Google than the actual brand I am selling. But it has been worth my while and I hope to see more results in submitting good quality writing.

Dita November 11, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Hi Mark,

This is an excellent article! I was just pondering how to get the authorship set up, so I am thrilled to see that you are offering a free plugin. I am going to download it and set it up on my site. ( I chuckled when I read your story about the WSO, yeah, I would have expect that.)

I have signed up for your newsletter and am looking forward to read your ideas and advice that you will share with your subscribers

regards,

Dita

Ron November 26, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Thanks for the post Mark, great read. Found it in google of course :)

You give a lot of food for thought. Some things I have not though about. I knew that google+ was going to be a part of the “plan”, and you gave me even more reason to get going on it. I think I have authorship set up, but I’ll have to check.

I totally agree with point one about unique powerful content. Only problem is, it’s not viable for some sites, like e-comm sites. Seems like the last updates, might be tough on them.
Ron recently posted…Build List For Big Profits MRR Ebook with Master Resale RightsMy Profile

Adam December 9, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Excellent post. I am also finding excellent Google rankings with the Google+ author option.

Am also going to grab your Video Sitemap plug-in to properly build an asset with self-hosted videos as am getting a bit fed up of YouTube being fussy about the internet marketing subject area.

Mark Dulisse April 25, 2012 at 4:23 am

@ Jamie Haslett – Your theme would need to support an Author at end of posts, or you can manually edit theme files. Or you can install a About Author plugin to make changes for you, like http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-about-author/.

There are others if you do plugins search.

Jamie Haslett April 27, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Thanks for the info Mark, it is much appreciated. The only thing I could not figure out is, you have your name with the date in the byline, and the name links to your google plus account. I cannot get my name to appear with the date and link to my google plus account. If you can, could you tell me how you did that.

Thanks Jamie
Jamie Haslett recently posted…XoVita Life’s Perfect BlendMy Profile

Mark Dulisse April 27, 2012 at 11:54 pm

@ Jamie Haslett – You can install the plugin I give you, and put your Googleplus link as instructed inside.