If you are wanting to build your list with “like minded” people, and they are visiting your website, then you, then you want to do everything that you can to get them on your list before they leave.
Some people get annoyed with seeing popup after popup. I’ve seen some who have 3-4 exit popups…one after the other.
Ya, it is pretty annoying if there is too much hassle just to leave a site, but what the heck…they are leaving anyways, so you may as well try and get them to optin….right?
Perhaps wrong. What we are starting to see is “exit harassment.” Okay, I just coined that phrase….
What I recommend is a respectful optin and exit strategy that puts the optin and squeeze offer “front and center,” but it doesn’t take 20 clicks just to leave your site. Poor returning website visitors: they always are presented with this “exiting harassment.” If you are wanting a ‘one time visit,’ perhaps maybe (I never actually look at the offers of all those annoying offers…do you?), but with a site that gets visited again and again by the same person…forget it.
Here is a few cool strategies. If you visit my site right now at Network Online Secrets, you will see two scripts: a popup optin script that shows up when you move your mouse to the top of your browser, and a exit script that shows when you actually click to leave the site. I think is cool, but anything more than this is annoying.
BONUS – VIDEO INSTRUCTIONS ON A CONVERTING OPTIN FORM
DOWNLOAD OPTIN FORM AND GRAPHICS HERE – I use my own product giveaway as the offer, but you can use any offer you want by simply replacing the image.
I have this plugin optin and find it to be very powerful, and high converting.
Obviously, you need a good autoresponder. I have both Getresponse and Aweber, but I like GetResponse better because I find their user interface is easier to understand, although both are very reliable and very low rates.
But that is not all….
There are other methods that I personally use, and after much testing, have found these work great for me.
- Use a Exit Splash Page script with a free incentive to subscribe
- Put a optin box in the sidebar, and on front page, of your blog
- Use a footer slidein to popup after a few seconds with an incentive to subscribe
- Use a comment script that automatically subscribes people to your list when they make a comment to your blog posting
- If you use video on your site, you can put a optin form at the end of the video presentation using Easy Video Player (yes, inside your video display area).
If you are serious about building your list, these are some pretty cool tools:
- Exit Splash by Dave Guindon – This is so powerful. You can add a exit page and offer a free giveaway, or a downsell, and invitation to a webinar, etc.. Pretty much every serious online marketer is using this today.
- Ultimate Footer Ad 2.0 – I absolutely love this script, simply because it is so subtle and works awesome. You will see it on a few of my website. It is easy to install, and you simply copy/paste the code before the closing ‘body tag’ of your site, and you are set up.
- Viral Inviter Tell A Friend Script – Norman Freeman has the best Tell-a-Friend script, and if you want viral explosion in your list building campaigns, then this certainly will help you.
There are many other scripts out there, but these are the most stable, most widely used, and will do the job.
Disclaimer: The product links above are paid products of which I earn an affiliate income.