The web traffic is in the details, and in this case, “image seo” details. Some people use this strategy for an enormous amount every month.
Let me back up a bit and explain. To maximize your free traffic coming from the search engine of Google you will want to be holistic in your SEO plan of approach. Think of the search engines not just from a “text” standpoint, but think vertically:
- Image Search
- Video Search
- Blog Search
- Mobile Search
- Book Search
Google now mixes all these vertical search engine results into their “Everything” search result, which is called the “Universal Search.” Most non-Googlers called it ‘blended search.’
In this posting I want to talk about using the Image Search to boost your websites ranking and traffic.
Is Your Website A Good Candidate To Be Ranked High In Image Search?
Before you go to the seo effort, here are indicators that your website is a good candidate and that you should not overlook some highly targeted traffic coming from the Image Search that may appear on the Universal Search:
- Your website’s uniqueness is its images. They are unique, interesting, and one every page.
- When I do a search query for the keywords that I target, images show up at the top of the results.
- The monetization and products that I sell on my website has images.
- You are into “People Reputation.” If your website has pictures of celebrities, or politicians, then a Image Search will fall into your category.
Warning: If you are an affiliate marketer and all you do is include images that everyone else is using then there is the high probability you are wasting your time doing image seo.
Image Search Optimization
Search engines cannot read images, so in order to rank images the search engines look for clues. The most important clue that the search engines use rank images is text in critical locations that is tied to the image file and that surrounds the picture on the page.
Here are two key image seo strategies to get your images in the rankings:
- The best chance of getting an image ranked is to have “each image on its own page.” Do not put multiple images on one page.
- Display your image on a page that is optimized for the keywords you want to rank for. If your image is about “dogs,” have your web page optimized for “dogs.”
For top image rankings you need to do the ‘extra’ and include these keyword image optimization strategies:
- Image File Name – If your photo is an image of Lady Gaga, the filename should be lady-gaga.jpg.
- Put Keyword Captions Directly Beneath or Above Images – For example, “Lady Gaga is a Youtube superstar for 21st century tubers.”
- ALT and TITLE Tags – Use both of these. They can be the identical same keyword for both. SEO Image is a great wp plugin to do this for you.
- Use Keyword Anchor Text Links Pointing To An Image – This is the most un-utilized image seo tactic, but highly effective. Link to an image you want to rank for with the keyword you are going after. Instead of “Click Here For Image,” use “View Lady Gaga In New York.” You can use tools like SENuke X (premium automation) or Rank Builder (solid and does the job) to build some wicked backlinks to sky rocket your results.
- Write A Description Of The Image On The Same Page – Instead of a caption, write a full description of the image on the page it is on.
As you do your image seo, here are some additional steps to keep in mind:
- Are your images readable when reduced to a thumbnail? If not, then crop them.
- Make sure your /images folder is not excluded in your robots.txt file
- If you do a Image Search and scroll over images in the search results, you will notice that that a descriptive text shows up about that image. It can be the filename, the HTML Title, or text near the image. If you currently have images in Google’s Image Search, review these images and make the descriptive text compelling. Do a site:yourdomain.com search on images.google.com. Review your images and determine how they can be improved.
So, how are your images? Are you maximizing your images? Come On. Confess Up!
Write me a Comment, FB Like, Tweet Me…..