Almost un-noticed by many webmasters and seo specialists, Google has come out with a major shift in thier ranking signals as of last December, 2010.
The question was put to Matt Cutts, Google’s search engineer, “Does Google use data from social sites [Twitter, Facebook] in ranking?”
He comes out and states that they do in fact use Facebook and Twitter as a ranking signal, but he goes a step further. Google is now stating a major shift, and the shift is that they are listening to the Buzz and Chatter going on at the social media sites to figure out the “reputation” of a author or creator on Facebook or Twitter.
The SEO GAME is no longer just about:
- Creating unique content (although great unique content certainly will be shared, if asked)
- Online seo and then getting a bunch of backlinks at free blog sites, press releases, and article directories (which Google has recently punished anyways).
- The pagerank of your website and the pagerank of your backlinks
- Making sure you have incontext anchor text backlinks
You can do all the above and still your website is not high in ranking.
THE SEO GAME HAS CHANGED
A key incredient in today’s seo game is the ‘reputation’ and ‘buzz factor’ that your website and name/product is having in the social media circles.
Google uses their “Real Time Search Engine” to monitor the buzz being created on sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Stumbleupon, etc. I did not pay much attention to many of these sites from a SEO standpoint because most are ‘nofollow’ links, but apparently, Google does…and now I need to fully change my seo strategy for Real Time SEO.
Here are 8 tips you can do right now to drive more traffic to your websites using the social media buzz and give Google what it wants with Real Time SEO.
1. First, Create a Social Media Advanced Segment in your Google Analytics Account
2. Secondly, drill down on your keywords using Google’s Free Keyword Tool
3. Put Your Keywords In Your Title and Description (this is key)
If you look at the REAL TIME image above you will see that Google hyperlinks your TITLE and USERNAME of the social media site. Hence, you want both of these as a keyword. Many people use a John Doe as their username at Twitter, but if they want to brand a company or product, use the keyword. You’ll also see that Google includes the DESCRIPTION. Both the title and description are the two most important tags in Real Time SEO.
4. Make Your Title and Description Interesting And Clickable
If you want your clicks to increase, make the title very interesting, and use the description as an opportunity to wet the appetite.
Instead of the title: “Real Time SEO For Webmasters:
Change it to: “Top 5 Methods To Drive Traffic To Your Websites Using Social Media”
5. Put Social Media Icons For People To Share Your Content Clearly Visable On Your Blog Or Website
I have a few scattered on this blog here. I recently did an overhaul of my Network Online Secrets blog. You’ll see that I have the same premium WordPress Thesis Theme as this blog, but also a custom Thesis Awesome Skin (top row, in the middle)
6. Ask People Who Visit Your Website To Share Your Content
7. Use “Social Locker” feature of Viral Social Pro and force visitors to share your page
8. Share content yourself. When you see a great article, or blog posting, tweet it, Facebook ‘Like” it, Stumbleupon it, Digg it, etc…..
There are some ways you can start right now to increase the buzz and build up your website reputation. As you do these strategies, Google will take notice and give you your reward…which is higher ranking.
Please make a comment and tell me your thoughts.
Are you using Real Time SEO as one of your core strategies for seo??